Levis Mound is a popular destination for hiking in Wisconsin, and for good reason. Located in Clark County, the mound is part of the Levis/Trow Mound Recreational Area and offers visitors a wide range of outdoor activities. Here are some reasons why Levis Mound is a great spot for hiking in Wisconsin:
- Beautiful Scenery: Levis Mound offers hikers stunning views of the surrounding landscape. From the top of the mound, visitors can see for miles in every direction, with rolling hills and dense forests stretching out as far as the eye can see.
- Varied Terrain: The hiking trails at Levis Mound offer a wide range of terrain to explore. The trails wind through dense forests, over rocky outcroppings, and across open meadows. This variety keeps the hiking experience interesting and challenging.
- Well-Maintained Trails: The hiking trails at Levis Mound are well-maintained and clearly marked, making it easy for visitors to navigate. The trails are also graded by difficulty level, so hikers can choose the trail that best suits their skill level.
- Wildlife Viewing: Levis Mound is home to a wide range of wildlife, including deer, turkey, and a variety of bird species. Hikers may catch a glimpse of these animals as they make their way through the woods.
- Family-Friendly: Levis Mound is a great destination for families with children. The trails are not too difficult, and there are plenty of opportunities for picnicking and other outdoor activities.
In addition to hiking, visitors to Levis Mound can also enjoy mountain biking, horseback riding, and cross-country skiing in the winter months. Find a map HERE. Fall is a great time to hike Levis Mound. Learn more HERE.
More on Levis Mound
Levis Mound is a popular hiking and mountain biking destination located in Clark County, Wisconsin. The mound is named after a French-Canadian trapper named Joseph Levis, who is said to have lived in the area during the early 19th century.
Levis Mound is part of the Clark County Forest, which spans over 130,000 acres of forestland in central Wisconsin. The mound itself is a glacial remnant that rises 1,425 feet above sea level, providing stunning views of the surrounding forest and countryside.
There are several hiking trails at Levis Mound, ranging from easy walks to more challenging hikes that lead to the summit of the mound. One of the most popular trails is the Levis Mound Trail, a 4.6-mile loop that winds its way through the forest and up to the summit of the mound. The trail is well-marked and offers plenty of opportunities to stop and take in the scenery along the way.
In addition to hiking, Levis Mound is also a popular destination for mountain biking. The mound has over 15 miles of mountain biking trails that range in difficulty from easy to advanced. The trails are well-maintained and offer a variety of terrain, from smooth and flowy singletrack to more technical sections with rocks and roots.
Levis Mound is also a popular spot for camping and picnicking. The nearby Eastwood Campground offers primitive campsites and a picnic area, as well as access to the Levis Mound Trail. The campground is open year-round, making it a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to experience the beauty of central Wisconsin in all seasons.
Levis Mound is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves hiking, mountain biking, camping, or just spending time in nature. With its stunning views, well-maintained trails, and peaceful surroundings, it’s no wonder that Levis Mound is such a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts in central Wisconsin.