Looking for the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin?
Fall in Wisconsin is a magical season, with many unique and wonderful features that make it a favorite among locals and visitors alike. Here are just a few of the reasons why fall in Wisconsin is so great:
- Spectacular Fall Foliage – One of the most iconic features of fall in Wisconsin is the stunning display of fall foliage. As the leaves on the trees change from green to shades of yellow, orange, and red, the entire state is transformed into a colorful wonderland. Wisconsin’s vast forests and rolling hills make for some of the most breathtaking fall foliage in the country. (Check below for the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin.)
- Cooler Temperatures – After the hot and humid days of summer, the cooler temperatures of fall are a welcome relief. The crisp, cool air is perfect for outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and apple picking.
- Harvest Season – Fall is also harvest season in Wisconsin, with farmers and orchards offering a bounty of fresh produce. From pumpkins and apples to cranberries and squash, there’s no shortage of delicious and healthy foods to enjoy during the fall season.
- Festivals and Events – Wisconsin is home to a wide variety of fall festivals and events, celebrating everything from cheese and beer to cranberries and fall foliage. These events offer a great opportunity to get out and explore the state, meet new people, and enjoy all the unique features of fall in Wisconsin.
- Wildlife Watching – Fall is also a great time to observe wildlife in Wisconsin. From migrating birds to deer and other mammals, the state’s natural areas come alive with activity during the fall season.
Fall in Wisconsin is a magical season full of color, excitement, and natural beauty. With so much to see and do, it’s no wonder that so many people look forward to fall in Wisconsin every year. Find some of the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin.
Best Fall Hiking in Central Wisconsin
Central Wisconsin offers many great opportunities for fall hikes. Here’s where to go for some of the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin during the season:
- Rib Mountain State Park – Rib Mountain State Park is located in Wausau, Wisconsin and offers stunning views of fall foliage from the top of Rib Mountain. The park has several hiking trails of varying difficulty, ranging from easy walks to strenuous hikes, offering some of the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin
- Levis Mound Trail – There are several hiking trails at Levis Mound, ranging from easy walks to more challenging hikes that lead to the summit of the mound. One of the most popular trails is the Levis Mound Trail, a 4.6-mile loop that winds its way through the forest and up to the summit of the mound. The trail is well-marked and offers plenty of opportunities to stop and take in the scenery along the way. It’s one of our favorites for the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin.
- Ice Age Trail – The Ice Age Trail stretches over 1,000 miles across Wisconsin and offers beautiful scenery during the fall season. Central Wisconsin is home to several sections of the Ice Age Trail, including the Plover River Segment and the Dells of the Eau Claire Segment.
- Devil’s Lake State Park – Although Devil’s Lake State Park is located in Southern Wisconsin, it’s worth the drive for its stunning fall foliage. The park offers over 29 miles of hiking trails, ranging from easy walks to challenging hikes.
- Hartman Creek State Park – Hartman Creek State Park is located in Waupaca, Wisconsin and offers several hiking trails through forests and around the park’s namesake lake. The park’s fall foliage is particularly stunning, making it a great place to hike during the autumn months.
- Standing Rocks County Park – Standing Rocks County Park is located in Stevens Point, Wisconsin and offers several hiking trails through a beautiful pine forest. The park’s fall colors are particularly striking, making it a great place to hike during the autumn months.
These are just a few of the places to go for the best fall hiking in Central Wisconsin. There are many other parks and trails in the area that offer beautiful scenery and great hiking opportunities during the fall season. Check the Fall Color Report from Travel WI before you go!