Best Sunset Spots in Door County
Door County, Wisconsin offers several great spots to watch the sunset. We’ve had the chance to experience some of the best sunset spots in Door County. Here are a few recommendations:
- Peninsula State Park: The Sunset Bike Trail at Peninsula State Park is a great spot to catch the sunset. The trail takes you to an overlook with breathtaking views of Green Bay.
- Ellison Bluff County Park: This park is located on the western side of Door County and offers spectacular views of the sunset over Lake Michigan.
- Sunset Park in Fish Creek: Fish Creek’s Sunset Park is located in the heart of Door County and offers stunning views of the sunset over Green Bay.
- Eagle Bluff Lighthouse: This lighthouse, located in Peninsula State Park, offers panoramic views of the surrounding waters and is a great spot to watch the sunset.
- Sister Bay Beach: Sister Bay Beach is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike to watch the sunset over Green Bay.
No matter where you choose to watch the sunset, be sure to bring a camera and dress appropriately for the weather. Enjoy the beauty of Door County!
If you’re enjoying the best sunset spots in Door County, chances are you’ll be battling the mosquitos while doing so. Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, so you’re likely to encounter them while getting ready for some amazing views. They can be a nuisance in Wisconsin, especially during the summer months. Here are some tips to help keep them away:
- Use insect repellent: Apply insect repellent that contains DEET, picaridin, or other EPA-approved repellents to your skin and clothing. Be sure to follow the instructions on the label.
- Wear protective clothing: Wear long sleeves and pants, as well as light-colored clothing, which may attract fewer mosquitoes.
- Remove standing water: Mosquitoes breed in standing water, so remove any standing water from your property, such as in bird baths, buckets, or flower pots.
- Use mosquito netting: Use mosquito netting around your sleeping area to keep mosquitoes away while you sleep.
- Install screens: Make sure all windows and doors have screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.
- Use fans: Mosquitoes are weak fliers, so using fans to create a breeze can help keep them away.
By taking these precautions, you can reduce your exposure to mosquitoes and enjoy your time outdoors in Wisconsin while enjoying the best sunset spots in Door County.
Tips for Getting Photos at the Best Sunset Spots in Door County:
When you’re taking photos at some of the best sunset spots in Door County, you may want a photo or two to remember it by! Here are some tips:
- Plan your shoot: Research the location, time of sunset, weather, and any other factors that may impact your photo. Look for a clear day, and scout out the perfect spot to capture the sunset.
- Bring the right gear: Bring a tripod to keep your camera steady, and a polarizing filter to reduce glare and enhance the colors of the sunset. If you’re using a smartphone, consider investing in a tripod or a phone mount for stability. A Sony A7 with a Tameron 17-28mm F2.8 lens has been our favorite lately. Pair with an ND filter like a K&F nano-x variable ND filter.
- Use manual mode: Shooting in manual mode will give you greater control over your camera settings, such as exposure, aperture, and ISO. This will allow you to adjust your settings to best capture the sunset’s unique lighting conditions.
- Frame your shot: Look for interesting foreground elements to add depth and interest to your photos. Experiment with different angles and perspectives to capture the beauty of the sunset.
- Play with exposure: Consider underexposing your photos slightly to bring out the rich colors of the sunset. Use bracketing to capture a range of exposures, which you can blend later in post-processing.
- Be patient: The best sunsets often happen after the sun has already dipped below the horizon. Stay patient and keep shooting, as the sky may continue to change and offer new opportunities for great shots.
- Experiment with post-processing: Once you’ve captured your photos, experiment with post-processing to enhance the colors, contrast, and overall look of your images. But be careful not to overdo it, as this can lead to unnatural-looking photos. Adobe Lightroom is a great software for this.
While it’s fun to take sunset photos, be sure to take a moment to just enjoy the scenery with someone you love. We recommend it!