You need to visit Door County. Door County, Wisconsin has a rich and fascinating history that spans thousands of years. The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, including the Potawatomi, Menominee, and Ojibwe. These tribes hunted, fished, and farmed the land, and left behind numerous artifacts and other evidence of their presence.
In the 1600s, French explorers arrived in the area and established trading posts, marking the beginning of European settlement in Door County. Over the years, the area attracted more settlers, including Norwegian and Belgian immigrants who established thriving communities.
During the 1800s, Door County became an important center for the shipping industry, thanks to its location on the shores of Lake Michigan. Ships carrying lumber, fish, and other goods regularly passed through the area, and the peninsula was home to several important lighthouses that helped guide ships safely through the waters.
In the early 1900s, tourism began to take off in Door County, thanks to its stunning natural beauty and charming towns. Visitors flocked to the area to enjoy the beaches, go fishing, and explore the many shops and restaurants in the local communities.
Today, Door County is a popular tourist destination that offers a glimpse into the area’s rich history and vibrant culture. Visitors can explore the many historic sites and museums in the area, including the Door County Maritime Museum and the Ephraim Historical Foundation. They can also sample the area’s famous cherry products, which have been a staple of the local economy for generations. With its natural beauty and fascinating history, when you visit Door County it is truly a one-of-a-kind destination that offers something for everyone.
Why to Visit Door County
From its scenic natural beauty to its charming towns and unique attractions, there are plenty of reasons to visit Door County. Here are just a few of the things that make this area so special:
- Natural beauty: Door County is located on a peninsula that juts out into Lake Michigan, offering breathtaking views of the water and the surrounding landscape. The area is home to numerous state parks and nature preserves, including Peninsula State Park, which offers hiking and biking trails, swimming beaches, and stunning vistas. Click here for a lot of our favorite spots to watch the sunset! Cave Point County Park is another highlight. For a quieter time in nature, check out Toft Point State Natural Area.
- Quaint towns: Door County is home to a number of charming towns and villages, each with its own unique character and attractions. Stroll through the streets of Fish Creek, Egg Harbor, or Sister Bay to browse art galleries, boutiques, and locally-owned restaurants and cafes.
- Lighthouses: Door County is home to several historic lighthouses, including the Cana Island Lighthouse, which is accessible by foot or by a guided tour on a tractor-drawn wagon. These lighthouses offer a glimpse into the area’s maritime history and provide stunning views of Lake Michigan.
- Cherry orchards: Door County is known for its cherry orchards, which produce more than 10 million pounds of cherries each year. Visitors can take a guided tour of a cherry orchard, pick their own cherries, or enjoy cherry-themed treats like cherry pie or cherry ice cream.
- Wineries: Door County is also home to several wineries, which offer tours and tastings of their locally-produced wines. The area’s unique microclimate and soil conditions create ideal growing conditions for a variety of grape varieties, resulting in some truly delicious wines.
- Water activities: With its location on the shores of Lake Michigan, Door County offers plenty of opportunities for water-based activities like swimming, boating, kayaking, and fishing. Visitors can rent boats or kayaks, take a scenic boat tour, or simply relax on one of the area’s many beaches.
Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventures, quaint towns, or delicious food and drink, when you visit Door County there is something for everyone. So why not plan your visit today and discover all that this beautiful area has to offer? First-time visitor to Door County – click here!
We’ll be sharing more visit Door County content on our blog, so check back often! Need help planning a trip to visit Door County? Check out this page!