McGregor is a city located in Clayton County, Iowa, United States. There are lots of things to do in McGregor! The city was first settled in the 1840s and was named after William McGregor, who was a prominent landowner in the area. The town was officially established in 1857.
McGregor, Iowa is a small city located in Clayton County, in the northeastern part of the state. The history of McGregor dates back to the mid-19th century when it was founded as a bustling river town along the Mississippi River.
In 1837, a land speculator named William B. Phelps purchased the land that would become McGregor. Phelps recognized the potential for the area to become a major transportation hub due to its proximity to the Mississippi River, and he began to develop the town.
In 1845, the town was officially named McGregor, after Alexander McGregor, a prominent businessman who owned a sawmill and a ferry in the area. The town grew rapidly, thanks to the river trade, and by the mid-1850s, it had become one of the largest cities in Iowa.
During this time, McGregor was an important center for the lumber industry. Logs were floated down the Mississippi River from the forests of Minnesota and Wisconsin and processed at sawmills in McGregor before being shipped to markets in the eastern United States.
The town also played a significant role in the transportation of people and goods. In addition to the river trade, McGregor was a hub for stagecoaches, and it was connected to the rest of the country by several important transportation routes.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, McGregor began to decline as the lumber industry waned and transportation routes shifted away from the town. However, in recent years, McGregor has experienced a resurgence as a popular tourist destination, thanks to its historic downtown, scenic location on the Mississippi River, and proximity to outdoor recreation areas.
There are many reasons to visit McGregor, Iowa! Here are just a few:
- Rich history: McGregor is a town with a fascinating history that dates back to the mid-19th century. Visitors can explore the historic downtown area, which is filled with beautiful 19th-century buildings, and learn about the town’s role in the lumber industry and transportation.
- Scenic location: Exploring the natural beauty is one of our favorite things to do in McGregor. McGregor is located on the banks of the Mississippi River and surrounded by rolling hills and scenic countryside. Visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities in the nearby state parks and natural areas.
- Cultural attractions: Despite its small size, McGregor is home to several cultural attractions, including art galleries, antique shops, and museums. Visitors can also enjoy live music and theater performances at the local opera house. There are lots of things to do in McGregor!
- Relaxing atmosphere: McGregor is a charming, laid-back town where visitors can slow down and enjoy a slower pace of life. Whether you’re sipping coffee at a local cafe or watching the river flow by, McGregor is a great place to relax and unwind.
McGregor is a great destination for history buffs, nature lovers, and anyone looking for a charming and relaxing small-town getaway.
Things to do In McGregor, Iowa
McGregor, Iowa is a charming historic town located on the banks of the Mississippi River. Here are five things to do in McGregor that you won’t want to miss:
- Visit Pike’s Peak State Park: Located just south of McGregor, Pike’s Peak State Park offers stunning views of the Mississippi River and surrounding bluffs. The park features hiking trails, picnic areas, and a visitor center with exhibits on the area’s natural history. This is one of our favorite things to do in McGregor.
- Explore downtown McGregor: The town’s downtown area is home to several historic buildings, art galleries, antique shops, and restaurants. Take a stroll down Main Street and enjoy the quaint small-town charm.
- Take a riverboat tour: Experience the Mississippi River up close by taking a riverboat tour. The tours typically run from May to October and offer stunning views of the river and surrounding bluffs. This is one of the more popular things to do in McGregor.
- Visit the Marquette-Joliet Bridge: The Marquette-Joliet Bridge connects McGregor, Iowa with Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. The bridge offers beautiful views of the Mississippi River and is a popular spot for photos. Cross the bridge to the Wisconsin side and visit Wyalusing State Park for some incredible views that mirror those you saw at Pike’s Peak State Park.
- Go fishing: The Mississippi River is a popular spot for fishing, and McGregor is no exception. Visitors can fish for a variety of species, including walleye, catfish, and bass. The area also offers several outfitters and guides for those who want to make the most of their fishing experience.
Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, if you’re looking for things to do in McGregor, there is something for everyone to enjoy.